Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some answers....

After months of pain, hours of sleep, and waiting 4 months for my rheumatologist appointment…. I might finally have an answer. The rheumatologist thinks I have fibromyalgia. According to Wikipedia, fibromyalgia is a medical disorder characterized by chronic widespread pain and allodynia, a heightened and painful response to pressure. Fibromyalgia symptoms are not restricted to pain, leading to the use of the alternative term fibromyalgia syndrome for the condition. Other symptoms include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. Some patients may also report difficulty with swallowing, bowel and bladder abnormalities, numbness and tingling, and cognitive dysfunction.
I also found out that my Grandma has been dealing with fibromyalgia for years (although no one has mentioned it until now).

It is not easy to determine if someone has fibromyalgia because there are many blood tests and x-rays that need to be done. Most of the results come back negative. The Dr. thinks that I do have it because I have been dealing with multiple symptoms for quite some time. Hopefully there will be a way to diminish the pain and a way for me to get back in shape.

3 comments:

  1. Thats nuts Kel! I've heard of this disease and it does sound painful. Keep me posted on what else they are finding out. Hang in there!
    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably a relief in some ways to have a diagnosis. I hope they can find some answers and solutions! Keep me posted too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kelly,
    I'm glad to hear your got some answers on what's going on with your body. It's a releif to know what is going on. I hope there is something they can do to help you.

    ReplyDelete