Saturday, June 18, 2011

Spring Time Fun!!!

So much has happened since my last blog. Things have been very, very busy! I finished my last real semester of classes and came out with all A's and B's. My goal was all A's, but apparently some of my teachers had different thoughts. I think what really hurt me was a couple of absences. We had two really bad snow storms and I was sick again throughout the semester. I am just really glad that I am almost done with school.

I have been placed for my semester of student teaching. I will be right here in Albany (which is really nice and its only 5 blocks away!). I have already met with my two cooperating teachers for next year. It seems like a really good fit for me! I will be teaching 11th grade world studies (geography) and Early American History to 9th graders. I am only nervous about the Early American History because it has been such a long time since I have taken any courses. Luckily I have the summer to study.

I finished up the semester with a day trip to Washington D.C. (all expenses paid for by a Holocaust organization in Minnesota). My entire social studies class was invited to spend the day at the Holocaust Memorial Museum and to learn more about possible teaching opportunities. It was my second time there, but I walked out feeling the same way as last time. It is a huge eye awakening moment looking into a grim past. I was also frustrated because the museum allows quite a few people in at one time. I can’t stand being treated and squished together like cattle. I like my space and time to explore the exhibit! During our last two hours before we had to leave, some of my classmates and I decided to trek around the memorials. We took time to go the D.C. Memorial, Lincoln, WWII, and the Korean War memorial. It was a beautiful day and the blossoms were still out!!!


Kelly, Eden, Anne, Katie, Stephanie, and Justine


Korean War Memorial


MLK gave his “I Have A Dream” speech at the top of the Lincoln Memorial.


View of the White House from the Washington Memorial. Much smaller than one would think.


WWII Memorial


Washington Monument…. Much bigger than one might think!


Lincoln Memorial (Abe is pretty big as well).


Freedom is not free! There is always a price for everything.


Lincoln’s daily view. The reflection pool, D.C. Monument, and the Capital.


Blossoms in D.C.


Cherry Blossoms


Map of the monuments. We trekked for quite a distance.

I was also able to teach for six weeks (about 100 hours) at Tech High School in St. Cloud. I was able to teach 9th grade world geography. It was a lot of fun and the teacher was easy to work with. The only downside is that the teacher is not willing to use technology as an update in the classroom. His materials have not been updated for over 4 years and he was still using an overhead projector (even though resources were available for updates). This has been the biggest high school I have ever been to. It was really neat to be there because that is where my Grandpa and Grandma met and went to high school.

At the end of April, Josh had his birthday and turned two! We just did a small family party. I got Josh a really cute outfit and a toy. He didn’t want to open it because I put it in a pink Victoria secret bag (that’s all I had on hand). He was also a little crabby because there were no naps that day for him and Emmy.


Josh is really into Hot Wheel’s and cars lately. He had a classic reaction that every kid should have for an amazing gift!


Dorothy and Josh


Josh hating Aunties gift wrapping.


This is one of his many pouty faces.

We also took a weekend trip up north to a casino and took the kids swimming. It was really fun because it was my first time swimming with Josh. It’s too bad that work and other events keep getting in the way of spending some family time together.

Getting ready for bed after a fun filled day.


Playing in the children’s center with pony’s.


Emily is going to be a pro swimmer just like her mum.


Catch me Grandma! Ready, set, jump!


Josh not being able to hide his excitement of being in a pool bigger than the bathtub!


Emmy with her floaties.


Josh and his long hair. This is what made me want to take him in for a haircut.


Josh being tired of posing for pictures.


Such a handsome young boy!


I had a fun date day with Josh. It consisted of a sleep over and then I took him to get a haircut. A week later I took him to get another haircut because I felt like his hair was still too long. The second cut was fantastic! It was kind of funny bringing him in. He refused to sit alone and had to have a sucker (which resulted in multiple mouthfuls of hair).


Before: Josh with long hair.


After: Josh after haircut #1.


After haircut #2


Much better Auntie thinks!

I have also had Emmy for a few dates as well during my couple of weeks off from school. I had some friends in town and we met up for dinner. I took Emmy out to get some really cute summer shoes. She needed shoes really bad. Emmy also just had a birthday. She just turned 4. Although I missed out on all of the events again due to work, I know she had a fantastic day. The family went and spent the day at Mall of America and at the “Nickelodeon Universe” (I still think of it as Camp Snoopy).





So far, June is flying by surprisingly. I have one week left of my summer class. It is my last official class on campus and the very last one needed for my Human Relations Minor. Yippy!!! It seems as though it has taken a life time to come this far in school. Although June’s have been pretty tricky to deal with in the past (because it would have been my Dad’s birthday and Father’s Day), I have been staying super busy by working 40 hours a week and going to class. We have celebrated my sister’s, Emily’s, my dad’s, and Elaine’s birthday and a wedding so far. Work has been extremely busy. We have just finished two weeks with three people gone. One girl was married on June 3rd, another had her water break at the reception (baby born that night), and another went on a family vacation. I hope that we do not have to be that short staffed again. There is still more work to get done and another wedding before the month is over.


Emily’s wedding.


Byron, Grandma, & Emmy.






If all goes well, a trip to Utah in early August will be on my agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment