I really enjoyed our class trip to Edinburgh, Scotland. It has always been a dream for me to see and to experience Scotland. Honestly, I loved everything that I experienced in the city and up in the Highlands. It is nearly impossible to pick out a favorite activity that I experienced. Last year, I planned out a 3 day itinerary for Edinburgh. I was so glad that I was able to experience some of the activities that I had researched and planned out. It was really exciting to tour the new Scottish parliament building, visit the Holyrood Palace, as well as explore the Edinburgh Castle. I also enjoyed shopping in the tourist shops on the Royal Mile and shopping on Princes Street. Since I decided to stay in Edinburgh for the weekend, I chose to do a one day highland tour as a special treat. I was able to see some amazing country side, hear some stories from the past about William Wallace and Mary Queen of Scots. I was also able to meet Hamish, Scotland’s most popular highland cow. I was really amazed at how much of the history was preserved and especially known by the locals. I love learning in general, but also by hands on experiences. The knowledge that was provided by Christine our English teacher and local Scottish tour guides made it possible for me to learn, respond, and to ask as many questions as I wanted to. I was also amazed at how many people there were out and about during the day, as well as in the evening. I did not do many night life activities, but I was able to experience Mexican food from a different countries view point other than the United States. It was a good meal, but different than what I expected. I was also able to experience a local quiet meal at a pub. It was very interesting to try some “pub grub”. By the time my weekend came to an end, I was able to experience a full weekend at a large hostel, figure out the railway and bus system, as well as starting to distinguish different accents from around the United Kingdom. I almost decided not to stay in Edinburgh for the weekend, but I am so glad that I did. I was able to experience so many different things that cannot be learned from a textbook or a website.
A view of the Scottish Highlands. It was a beautiful day.
A view of Edinburgh – I am standing with my teacher Christine. She totally reminds me of Mrs. Doubtfire.
Holyrood Palace.
Holyrood Palace – This is where the Queen stays when she visits Edinburgh. Princess Anne was staying there this past week. We were lucky that we were able to visit before it closed down for her stay.
Me at the Holyrood Palace.
Holyrood Palace Abbey ruins – This ruined abbey so peaceful and beautiful. I loved the architecture.
Holyrood Palace Abbey ruins
William Wallace Memorial. This is the largest, free standing memorial dedicated to one person
Stirling Bridge. I was standing on a spot where William Wallace fought the English in September 1297.
Me – Modeling with an English telephone booth.
Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh, Scotland.
A view inside the debating chamber at the Scottish Parliament.
Hamish – Scotland’s most popular Highland Cow.
Things that are difficult at the moment:
1. Warming up - Everything here is so cold.
2. Dinner time - Breakfast is repetitive. Cold cereal (with only the same 3 boring choices everyday). Lunch and dinner is always difficult to eat. Meals are very meaty and different here. Lots of different yummy types of potatoes though. It should be their national vegtable.
3. Dealing with 2 of my teachers. One thinks we have all the time in the world to read pages and pages from many different books and the other just bashes all of the work that we do. Nothing is perfect for her.
4. I miss Emmy a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment